Thursday, February 10, 2011

All the News that is news

Ya'll, I've been busy writing. I've been writing everywhere but here. Plus, the internet is time-sucking my life away and I need a twelve-step program. In an active effort to change it up, I have resorted to paper and pencil and scribbled notes crammed in the bottom of my purse. I have outlined and plotted and charted my way through a storyline. And then in a fit of impatience, I went back and read everything that I had so far. And you know what? It's crap. Complete and utter overworked and stale crapola. But, it was practice and got me back in the habit of writing a small bit every day. It taught me to be a little more aware of my surroundings and the everyday language that I encounter.

Maybe I should try writing something less lofty. Lower my standards. Write what I know.

Today's work events and an earlier Facebook thread prompted me to discover my next Great American Novel:

Dear Customer
Or How Not To Act In A Retail Enviroment

Chapter One: Please Bathe

Chapter Two: I don't need business or love advice from a guy selling purses out of a van.

Chapter Three: Yes, I look like that girl you used to know, but she didn't like you either.

Chapter Four: Toothpaste and it's common uses.

What? It's a work in progress. Or I need more sleep. It's really hard to say at this point...


Surly Scott said...

In this economy it seems you should welcome the unwashed and unbrushed. There are bunches of those folks out there. Just a thought.

Post a Comment